We are well and truly into spring now, which means summer is right around the corner and we all know what that means, bikinis, short shorts, strappy dress or muscle tops for you lads.
Spring is a wonderful time of year when we throw open our windows and let the sunshine and fresh air into our homes. It’s a time when we spring clean our homes, and we should do the same for our bodies.
A spring cleanse can be a wonderful way to clean up our diets and feel as good on the inside as Spring feels outside.
A spring cleanse offers many benefits such as increased energy, improved digestion, fewer allergy symptoms, improved immune system function, better sleep, better concentration, healthier skin, healthy weight and many, many more.
Spring cleansing doesn’t have to be hard, as often small changes can make the biggest difference! Here are 10 simple tips for spring cleansing that will help to restart your body for a healthy and happier you.
- Drink water, and lots of it. Our bodies need at least 8 to 10 glasses of water daily to help flush out toxins – or more especially if you exercise and sweat regularly!
- Eat clean. Clean eating is the simplest way to ensure you maintain a healthy diet. Challenge yourself, for 7-14 days cut out alcohol, caffeine, dairy, gluten, sugar, fried foods, all processed and pre-packaged foods. Eat real whole foods, lots of fresh vegetables, fruit, good quality protein, healthy fats and whole grain carbohydrates (brown rice, quinoa, oats, sweet potato).
- Vege it up. Have at least 3-5 cups of vegetables daily. The best foods to support detoxification are the brassica veggies such as brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale – they contain an enzyme that supports liver detoxification.
- Enjoy apple cider vinegar daily. Upon waking and/or before each meal add 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into a glass of warm water to fire up your digestive system.
- Move your bod! Aim for 30 minutes daily. Exercise improves circulation, which brings fresh, oxygenated blood to your organs and tissues, thereby revitalizing them…and you.
- Take an Epsom salt bath. If you have a bathtub, add 1 cup of Epsom salts to a warm bath and soak for 20 minutes at the end of the day. Epsom salts are made up of magnesium, which works to relax and soothe your muscles.
- Dry body brush daily. Use a dry body brush to encourage circulation and lymphatic drainage, which gets rid of cellulite and plumps up the skin!
- Take deep, cleansing breaths three times per day. The lungs are an important organ of elimination that are often overlooked during cleanses. Spend one minute three times per day taking in five deep, cleansing, slow breaths.
- Get your healthy snack on. Snacking throughout the day can help with weight loss, energy and balancing moods. Just make healthy choices. Some quick and simple snack ideas include: a handful of raw, unsalted nuts, veggies sticks with nut butter or hummus, boiled eggs or a protein smoothie with berries, flaxseeds, spinach and almond milk.
- Don’t forget to rest! Your body needs to rest so it can repair and heal itself. The best way to ensure this is to make sure you get 8 hours of good quality sleep each night. I’d also recommend a mindful practice daily such as meditation, a walk in nature, legs up against the wall for 10-15 minutes to clear and re-centre your mind and nervous system.