A healthy digestive system is the foundation to health! It is all very well to be consuming a nutrient dense diet but if your digestive system is not absorbing and utilizing these vitamins and minerals you will not reap the benefits.
Why are we suffering from an unhealthy gut flora?
Over 70% of our immune system is in our gut. Dysbiosis, a microbial imbalance, can occur due to many factors such as poor dietary choices, chemicals, additives, artificial sweeteners, antibiotics, stress, allergies, pesticides, just to name a few. All these factors destroy the good bacteria we need in our intestinal tract. Many people today have taken antibiotics once or twice, or even numerous times in their lifetime. Antibiotics target all bacteria, both bad and good bacteria. Good bacteria are needed in our digestive system to protect us from illness and chronic disease. A healthy gut is also key to proper digestion, absorption of essential nutrients and weight maintenance.
How does this affect us?
Poor dietary choices and antibiotics strip the good bacteria from your intestines, this leaves your gut defenceless giving the bad bacteria an opportunity to thrive. These unwanted ‘bad’ bacteria can lead to all sorts of health issues including inflammation in the digestive track, leading to a weakened immune system, food allergies, leaky gut, sluggish digestion, poor nutrient absorption, depression and chronic disease.
Symptoms commonly related to an unhealthy gut:
- Constipation, diarrhoea
- Food intolerances
- Sugar cravings
- Trouble losing weight
- Autoimmune disease
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Blood sugar dysregulation
If you have been experiencing a few of these symptoms for a while, you may want to seek some support for addressing and restoring your gut health. Once on the journey to healing the gut most people find their symptoms disappear: sugar cravings decrease, energy is increased, sleep improves.
Start the healing process.
I recommend seeking help from a holistic practitioner such as a nutritionist or naturopath who will be able to assess your current diet and lifestyle. These sessions will allow them to see where you need to make changes or modifications in order to improve your gut flora. The transition to healing your gut will take motivation and dedication, but the payoff could be life changing!
Here are a few tips you can take today to improve your gut flora:
- Eliminate all sugars from your diet.
- Repopulate your gut with fermented foods and probiotic supplements (SuperMe Power Smoothie includes 1-billion probiotics per 100gm) which will help to put in the good bacteria and boost your immunity. Some of our favourite fermented foods include sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, miso, tempeh, kombucha.
- Reduce stress in your life.
- Focus on eating real natural whole foods (lots of vegetables, small amounts of fruit, good quality protein, healthy fats and whole grains).
- Reduce possible offenders – any foods you may be reacting to, dairy, gluten, wheat.