Camu camu is a true superfruit which is full of nutrients. Camu camu is a tree which grows on riverbanks in the Amazon rain forests of Peru, Brazil, Venezulea, and Colombia. The fruit and leaves are used as a medicine. Camu camu is fairly new to the global market, but it’s popularity is growing world-wide for its remarkable nutritional composition. This fruit has a red-purplish skin with a yellow pulp which is dehydrated (and kept below 40 degrees celsius to preserve the high vitamin C content), then milled into a fine powder.
Health benefits of Camu Camu Powder:
- Being rich in vitamin C it helps to boost the immune system, ward of vital infections and the common cold.
- Supports the body’s stress response, as vitamin C helps to nourish the nervous system and the adrenal glands.
- It contains carotenoids, an antioxidant that helps to protect against chronic disease.
- It also contains amino acids like serine, leucine and valine which help to boost both physical and mental health.
- Due to its high levels of vitamin C it’s also used for the promotion of healthy eyes, skin and gums.
- Camu camu can possibly help to slow and improve the aging process due to its powerful antioxidants like vitamin C have been shown to help reduce inflammation. Inflammation can increase oxidative stress and contribute to an accelerated rate in the ageing process, and other chronic health issues which may become more likely with age.
- The vitamin C content in Camu camu can help to boost energy levels and support healthy levels of white blood formation.
- Vitamin C can also help to boost energy levels.
- Camu camu contains an array of other vitamins and minerals such as riboflavin, thiamine, calcium, phosphorus, iron, riboflavin and niacin, which allow your body to function optimally.
References & links to research