Broccoli sprouts are nature’s superfood! Did you know sprouts offer some of the highest levels of nutrition? Broccoli sprouts are loaded with antioxidants, rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber and contain some of the highest levels of vitamin C and A. It’s a nutritional powerhouse! SuperMe works hard to source New Zealand grown products where possible, including Canterbury grown broccoli sprout powder.
Researchers, from John Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, found that broccoli sprouts grown from ordinary broccoli seeds, contain anywhere from 30 to 50 times the concentration of protective chemicals found in mature broccoli plants. These chemicals are called isothiocyanates, they are known to be potent stimulators of natural detoxifying enzymes in the body. This helps explain why the consumption of broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables, like cauliflower, cabbage and kale, are associated with a lowered risk of cancer.
With the discovery that the humble broccoli sprout is an extremely rich source of isothiocyanates, scientists have suggested that the sprouts may offer an easy, palatable and potent way of getting at least some of the protective benefits of a high-vegetable diet.
A few more reasons why we love broccoli sprouts:
- Broccoli sprouts can boost your immune system due to their high vitamin C and A content.
- Broccoli sprouts help to improve digestion.
- Broccoli sprouts are rich in sulphur which helps to cleanse and strengthen the blood.
- Broccoli sprouts are a potent nutrient which supports normal cell development and immune function.
- 10 grams of broccoli sprout powder taken daily can improve blood sugar regulation.
- 10 grams of broccoli sport powder taken daily may also help lower triglyceride levels and increase levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL), the good form of cholesterol.
- Broccoli sprouts are rich in sulforaphane, an anti-cancer compound found in cruciferous vegetables.
- Broccoli sprouts may help detox toxic pollutants as they contain glucoraphanin, a compound which accelerates the body’s ability to detoxify from various pollutants.
- Broccoli sprouts have been shown to improve respiratory function for asthma sufferers